KABUL -- Taliban militants shut down dozens of schools in Logar Province as a reprisal after an attack by government forces earlier this week, TOLOnews reported Friday (April 6).
Afghan forces attacked the militants in Charkh District, killing and wounding several, said Salim Saleh, a spokesman for the provincial governor.
"[The Taliban] have closed 30 schools, including 10 high schools, in Charkh [District] after one of their commanders was killed in a night raid by government forces," Salim said.
The militants are depriving up to 12,000 students, including 2,500 girls, of their education, he said.
Local officials are contacting tribal elders and religious scholars to seek their help in reopening the schools next week, he added.