KABUL -- A suicide bomber killed at least three people and wounded 15 others near a military outpost in Kabul Wednesday (April 29), as observers say the Taliban have launched 55 attacks each day since signing a peace deal in February.
Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian confirmed the toll, calling the blast "a crime by the enemy of Afghanistan against civilians during the month of Ramadan".
The attack appeared to target an Afghan special forces camp on the outskirts of Kabul, a security source told AFP.
No group has claimed responsibility, but the Taliban are investigating whether their own members were behind the bombing, said Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid.
Violence surged after peace deal
The blast comes as violence has surged across Afghanistan, with the United Nations reporting earlier this week that attacks have spiked following the signing of a landmark agreement between US negotiators and the Taliban in late February that was supposed to lay the groundwork for an Afghan-led peace process.
On average, the Taliban have launched 55 attacks each day since signing the deal in Doha on February 29, an Afghan official said.
Dozens of Afghan security personnel and Taliban fighters have been killed almost daily as both sides ramp up operations.
Kabul has been spared most of the violence. However, a string of attacks targeting minority groups proves the capital remains vulnerable to militants.
Coalition warns the Taliban
Gen. Scott Miller, commander of the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, warned the Taliban to reduce the violence they have been blamed for around the country.
"If the Taliban continues attacks, then what they should expect is a response," he said Tuesday during a visit to a commando base in Kabul. "We need them to reduce the violence and … give political leadership on all sides an opportunity to determine the peaceful way forward."