KABUL -- Taliban fighters stormed an Afghan border post in Paktia Province Friday (May 29), killing at least 14 security force members, the latest in a series of attacks since the end of a brief ceasefire.
"Last night the mujahideen carried out attacks against the newly established posts of the enemy in Dand Patan District of Paktia Province," Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said on Twitter.
The assault killed 14 security force members, confirmed Afghan officials.
Dand Patan District Governor Eid Mohammad Ahmadzai put the death toll among Afghan troops at 15. Twenty Taliban insurgents were killed, he told AFP.
Officials earlier accused the Taliban of carrying out two other raids on separate checkpoints on Thursday (May 28), killing 14 Afghan security force members, but the Taliban have not commented on those battles.
A three-day truce offered by the militants officially ended late Tuesday (May 26), with the overall lull in the country's grinding violence largely holding, officials and analysts have said.
Efforts to prolong ceasefire continue
Efforts to extend the ceasefire are continuing, said Javid Faisal, a spokesman for the National Security Council.
"The detente that started during Eid ul-Fitr continues despite reports of scattered incidents to the contrary," he said on Twitter.
"A ceasefire is a complex operational undertaking that requires significant and ongoing co-ordination to avoid incidents. Those efforts will continue," he wrote.
Afghan authorities have responded to the formal ceasefire by pushing forward with an agreed prisoner exchange, releasing some 1,000 Taliban prisoners this week with plans to release more in the coming days.
As part of the swap, the militants May 28 released 80 Afghan policemen and soldiers they had been holding captive.