KABUL -- Fourteen members of the Afghan security forces were killed in two separate attacks Thursday (May 28) in the first deadly assaults officials have blamed on the Taliban since the end of a three-day ceasefire.
The temporary truce ended Tuesday (May 26), but an overall lull in the country's violence has largely held despite the latest attacks, raising hopes the militants and Kabul could soon start much-delayed peace talks.
Taliban fighters attacked a checkpoint in Parwan, north of the capital, early May 28, said Wahida Shahkar, spokeswoman to the provincial governor.
"The Taliban have also suffered casualties," Shahkar told AFP, saying seven members of the Afghan forces died.
Taliban fighters set fire to the checkpoint, killing five security personnel, said district police chief Hussain Shah. Two more were shot dead.
In Farah, Taliban gunmen mounted an attack on a police post, killing seven policemen, provincial police spokesman Mohibullah Mohib told AFP.
"Eight Taliban fighters were also killed in the clash that lasted for half an hour," he said, adding four policemen survived the attack.
The Taliban have not commented so far.