MAZAR-E-SHARIF -- A Taliban-claimed suicide attack killed at least three people in Balkh Province on Tuesday (August 25) as neighbouring Pakistan pushed for delayed peace talks to begin.
The suicide bomber detonated explosives in a truck near an Afghan National Army (ANA) base in Balkh District, Balkh Province, said Mohammad Hanif Rezayee, a spokesman for the ANA's 209th Shaheen Corps based in Mazar-e-Sharif.
The attack was revenge for a video circulating online that appeared to show Afghan troops desecrating the bodies of Taliban soldiers in the south, said Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid on Twitter.
The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation into the video, which surfaced earlier this month.
The assault August 25 killed two civilians and a commando and wounded more than 40 others, Rezayee said. Many houses were damaged or destroyed and soldiers were helping to get the victims to safety, he added.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed the attack.
It comes as the Pakistani government is meeting key Taliban negotiators in Islamabad to push for peace talks in Afghanistan.
Pakistan has said negotiations are the only way forward in Afghanistan and sees its role as a "facilitator".
The Taliban and the Afghan government had signalled they were prepared to launch negotiations immediately after Eid ul Adha, which ended earlier this month, but the process remains bogged down over a controversial prisoner swap.