KABUL -- More than 100 militants are dead after the Taliban clashed with Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (ANDSF) across several provinces, the Ministry of Defence said Sunday (May 2).
Another 52 Taliban fighters were wounded in the clashes, the ministry said, without giving details of any casualties suffered by government forces.
"12 #Taliban terrorists were killed and 18 others were wounded during commandos' operation and airstrike in Bala Bolok [Buluk] district of #Farah province yesterday," the ministry said in a tweet Monday.
The Taliban did not comment on the fighting.
The US military formally began withdrawing its remaining 2,500 troops from Afghanistan on Saturday.
Afghan officials said all foreign troops were being taken to Bagram, the biggest American base in Afghanistan, and from there they would leave to their respective countries.
As part of the ongoing drawdown, the US military handed over Camp Antonik in Helmand to Afghan forces, the Defence Ministry said.
It said the base will be used by Afghanistan's special forces that have been trained in counter-terrorism operations by the US military and NATO.
Photographs of the handover ceremony released by the ministry showed US soldiers lowering the US flag at the base and a group of Afghan troops subsequently raising the national flag.
The US military has handed over several bases to Afghan forces since Washington signed a landmark deal with the Taliban last year that paved the way for the withdrawal of foreign forces.
Another clash took place in the former insurgent bastion of Kandahar, where the US military said it carried out a "precision strike" on Saturday. The base "received ineffective indirect fire" that caused no damage, it said.
No group claimed responsibility.
'Wasting the opportunity for peace'
Since the agreement between the Taliban and US negotiators, the Taliban have not directly engaged foreign troops but have mercilessly attacked Afghan forces in the countryside and waged a terror campaign in urban areas.
In the latest attack blamed on the Taliban, a car bombing Friday in Pul-e-Alam, capital of Logar province, killed at least 21 people and wounded 91 others.
The bomb targeted a guesthouse in the city where dozens of people were living -- including university students, said Hasibullah Stanikzai, chairman of the Logar provincial council.
The blast occurred as Afghans were breaking their Ramadan fast.
It caused widespread damage in the area, including to a hospital, Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian told reporters.
"The roofs of houses have collapsed, and people are trapped under the debris," he said, adding the death toll might change. "The security forces are trying to rescue those trapped."
So far three people have been rescued from under the debris, he said.
The casualties include university students who were in the guesthouse to take exams, and doctors and patients from the hospital that was damaged by the blast, he said.
The wounded had to be taken to Kabul since the blast damaged the main city hospital and its ambulances and also wounded some doctors, said Samat Gul, director of the Logar health department.
No group has claimed responsibility, but President Ashraf Ghani blamed the Taliban.
"The Taliban have once again shown that they are not only unwilling to resolve the current crisis peacefully and fundamentally but are complicating the situation and wasting the opportunity for peace," he said in a statement.